Under the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012, a Demolition Permit is required prior to commencing demolition of part or all of a
freestanding class 10 buildings (sheds, patios etc) under 40sqm may be exempt
from that requirement.
- utilities are disconnected (electricity, water, gas and telecommunications) and have been notified of the demolition work
- the number and location of any septic tanks on the site are identified
- the demolition contractor is qualified to undertake the demolition work
- rodent baiting has been carried out
- permission has been given for the work to affect any other land (if applicable)
- permission for the demolition work has been given by the Heritage Council (if applicable)
- a WorkSafe asbestos removal licence is required when 10sqm or more asbestos-containing material (asbestos cement sheeting) is removed.
For more information refer to Guide to Lodging a Demolition Permit and Application for Demolition Permit.