Planning documents - update
On 21 June 2013, the Western Australian Planning Commission advised that the Acting Minister for Planning Bill Marmion directed the Shire to modify Draft Local Planning Scheme No. 4 (‘LPS 4’) before it is given final approval. The required modifications included 95 modifications to the LPS 4 Scheme Text and 56 modifications to the Scheme Maps. Many of these modifications were recommended by Council when it considered submissions on LPS 4 in July 2012. The Western Australian Planning Commission also endorsed the Shire’s Draft Local Planning Strategy, subject to a range of modifications.
Two modifications pertaining to Places of Worship were required to be re-advertised for public comment:
· modifying the Zoning Table by changing ‘Place of Worship’ from ‘X’ to ‘A in the Service Commercial, Light Industry and Rural Residential zones, and from ‘D’ to ‘A’ in General Agriculture; and
· inserting a clause in section 5.7 (Development Requirements for All Zones) setting out matters to which the Shire will have regard when determining an application for Place of Worship.
Advertising of these modifications took place from Monday 8 July 2013 to Wednesday 7 August 2013. 324 submissions were received.
Council considered the submissions at its meeting of 10 September 2013. Council resolved that:
1. pursuant to Regulations 20(3)(a) and 20(3)(b) of the Town Planning Regulations 1967, resolves to recommend that submissions on the advertised modifications to the Shire’s draft Local Planning Scheme No. 4 be upheld (in whole or part), noted or dismissed in accordance with the Recommendations column of the Schedule of Submissions;
2. pursuant to Regulations 20(3)(a) and 20(3)(b) of the Town Planning Regulations 1967, recommends that the advertised modifications be incorporated into Local Planning Scheme No. 4, except that:
i. Place of Worship is recommended to remain a prohibited (‘X’) use in the Rural Residential zone; and
ii. The heading “Places of Worship” is recommended to be included in Clause 5.7.32;
3. advise the Commission that, should Place of Worship remain a prohibited (‘X’) use in the Rural Residential zone, Modification 56 in the Shire’s recommended Schedule of Modifications, as per its resolution of 31 July 2012, should be incorporated into Local Planning Scheme No. 4; and
4. pursuant to Regulation 20(4) of the Town Planning Regulations 1967, forwards its resolution, along with the Schedule of Submissions and attachments thereto, to the Western Australian Planning Commission.
When the Acting Minister makes a final decision regarding the advertised modifications, and when all requested modifications have been made to the LPS 4 and the Local Planning Strategy, LPS 4 will be finalised and gazetted and come into operation.