COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Following the advice of the Federal government and the WA Department of Health, Shire of Mundaring has introduced changes to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community. Changes will be in place until further notice and will be extended as required. We cannot promise business as usual but we will be doing our best in what is an evolving situation.

We will continue adding Frequently Asked Questions to this page to help explain some of the COVID-19 related changes announced by the Shire. We encourage community members to bookmark this page and visit often.

Is the Shire still open for business?
Effective from close of business, Wednesday 25 March, the Shire of Mundaring Administration Centre and Operations Centre was closed to the public until further notice. 

The closures aim to protect our employees and visitors to these facilities and slow the spread of the virus within our community.

Our staff continue to work - albeit a little differently to the norm. While this is presenting some challenges we are finding innovative ways to continue to serve our community.

We cannot promise business as usual but we are doing our best in a quickly evolving situation.

We are available via phone on 9290 6666, online at and by email.

You can complete some business transactions and payments online (Rates and Dog Registrations) or by phone. Meanwhile, deliveries can be left at the front door during business hours.

We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your cooperation.

How do I conduct essential business such as paying rates or infringements, applying for permits or registering my pet?

As always, people can contact us on (08) 9290 6666 or by email. You can also complete most business transactions and payments on the Shire's website.

Rates can be paid over the phone, please call 9290 6666. If you are having difficulty paying your rates, please call the Shire and speak to a Finance Officer – Rates or email the Shire at

Animal Registrations can be completed online on the Shire's website.

What facilities are closed?

In accordance with Australian Government advice, the following Shire facilities are closed:

  • Bilgoman Aquatic Centre
  • Brown Park Community Centre
  • Grab n Go @ Coppin
  • Grab n Go @ Mathieson
  • Hub of the Hills
  • Lake Leschenaultia Park
  • Mount Helena Aquatic Centre
  • Mundaring Arena
  • Swan View Youth Centre
  • All sports ground pavilions and changerooms
  • All community halls
  • All playgrounds, skateparks, dirt jumps and outdoor exercise equipment

The following Shire facilities have changed their service delivery to phone and email only:

  • Shire Administration Building
  • Shire Operations Depot
  • Albert Facey Memorial Library, Mundaring
  • Katharine Susannah Prichard Library, Boya
  • Mundaring Visitor Centre

Public toilets remain open where possible. An increased cleaning regime has been implemented at these facilities.

We anticipate that the above facilities will be closed until 30 April but this could be extended.

Coppin Road and Mathieson Road Transfer Stations will be closed on Good Friday 10 April.

Can I get a refund for my booking?

The Shire acknowledges that community members may have bookings for facilities such as halls and other Shire-owned facilities that cannot be used due to COVID-19 restrictions. The Shire is offering refunds for all cancellations due to the extenuating circumstances. Please contact us on 9290 6666 or email to arrange a cancellation and refund where required. 

What is still open?

Children's Services has suspended group family activities, however our childcare service is open.

Waste and recycling services will continue on its usual schedule.

Coppin Road and Mathieson Road Transfer Stations are open. We encourage visitors to practice safe social distancing when visiting our Transfer Stations. Please consider bringing gloves with you if you have some at hand.

Public toilets are still open, where possible. An increased cleaning regime has been implemented at all of our public toilets.

Will Council meetings still go ahead?

Yes but in a different way. Minister for Local Government Hon David Templeman has announced new regulations which will allow Council meetings to continue electronically during a public health emergency or state of emergency. Local governments are now allowed to hold meetings via teleconference, video conference or other electronic means and Shire of Mundaring is considering options to use a video conference.

Can I still obtain planning approval or a building permit?

Services will continue through this period. We encourage those interested in seeking advice, feedback, or lodging (or viewing) applications to contact the Shire via phone and/or email, to limit face-to-face interactions.

Previously the Shire encouraged applicants to discuss their proposed development with their neighbours. To maintain social distancing, if you have an application that requires neighbour comment, the Shire will advertise on your behalf in all circumstances.

Residents setting up a home office please note – no approval is required from the Shire.  Please liaise with Shire planning staff should you need advice about your specific situation.

Although the Shire is implementing a no contact arrangement, staff will still be available to undertake essential site visits but will adhere to social distancing requirements at all times.


What will restricted burning entail during the COVID-19 crisis?

With Restricted burning commencing from Wednesday 1 April 2020 please read the below information in regards to burning of garden refuse.
With current circumstances we can all understand that Emergency Services or anyone for that matter should exercise social distancing and not come into contact with others unless absolutely necessary.

It is therefore necessary to put in place special social distancing measures in relation to the Restricted Burning period and the issuing (or otherwise) of Permits. To limit the exposure/interaction the following conditions have been set out.

NO permits will be issued until further notice (we encourage you to plan your burns for the open burning period when permits are not required).

Residents may burn if needed after 6pm so long as the following conditions are followed:

  • 1sqm piles of garden refuse may be burnt without a permit between 6pm and 11pm

  • ALL piles must be fully extinguished before midnight, (fully extinguished means no heat, smoke or steam and no white ash present where the fire was situated) and re-checked the next day

  • There MUST be one adult person/s in attendance at all times, with running water able to reach 2 metres past any pile.

  • Ensure smoke is managed and you notify your neighbours. Keeping in mind COVID-19 is a respiratory virus/disease, we don't want to aggravate those who may be sick, asthmatic or vulnerable having to expose themselves and others by going to the hospital/doctors for care.

  • NO burning if the Fire Danger Rating is VERY HIGH or ABOVE

Fire Control Officers will be actively patrolling the shire to ensure burning is not occurring during the day.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this matter given the circumstances. We all need each other during this time so let's look out and after each other during this difficult time.

For further information on burning call the Fire and Burning Information line on 9290 6644 or go to our website. You can also sign up on our website to the SMS and be notified of changes to permits. All other fire related enquiries call 9290 6696 or email

I access the Midvale Early Childhood and Parenting Centre for childcare. Will this be closing?

Midvale Early Childhood and Parenting Centre is still open. Any changes related to delivery of this service will be directly communicated to service users and published on the Shires website and social media channels.


Can I still attend activities at the Shire's Child and Parent Centres?

Group family activities and health services at the Shire's Child and Parent Centre Swan – Middle Swan and Clayton View sites have been suspended until further notice.


Can I still go to the Libraries?

The Albert Facey Memorial Library (Mundaring) and Katharine Susannah Prichard Library (Boya) are closed to the public until further notice. 

Shire staff are available to assist over the phone and answer queries during the following times:

Monday to Friday – 9am to 5pm

This closure also affects Justice of the Peace Services, which will not be available at this time.


How can I return or borrow Library items?

For further information related to alternative ways to connect with Library services, including a new Click 'n' Deliver service, see the Libraries page of our website or call 9290 6780 to reach the Mundaring Library or 9290 6755 for Boya.  Alternatively, follow the Library on Facebook.

You can also check for online resources on our eLibrary page


How are items borrowed from the Libraries sanitised before being lent to another user?

Advice has been sought from environmental health professionals in relation to the safe handling of library items. There are a number of precautions taken in the management of items being returned, and issued, within the library service with a key step being that all returned items are sanitised (using a high grade disinfectant) and then quarantined (for a minimum of three days) before being shelved or issued to other borrowers. In addition, staff processing items are wearing gloves, washing hands frequently and also using hand sanitiser.

Where borrowers remain concerned regarding borrowing physical items from the library, we would encourage you to access our electronic resources. 

Will my bin still be collected?

Yes, waste and recycling services will continue on their usual schedule.

Can I still access Mathieson Road and Coppin Road Transfer Stations?

Yes, both Transfer Stations will continue to operate as usual until further notice.

The Grab n Go facilities at both Coppin Road and Mathieson Road Transfer Stations closed on Friday 3 April, until further notice.

Will the Shire continue community engagement workshops?

No workshops or drop-in sessions will be held at this time. Community engagement will continue online, where you can have your say on current projects at


What is happening with community events?

All events in restricted spaces are cancelled due to the 'one person per four square metre' rule.

In line with guidelines and directives issued by the WA Department of Health, all non-essential events expected to have 500 or more people or indoor events expecting more than 100 people have been cancelled.

Due to the changing situation and direction from the WA Health Department, we are constantly reviewing whether events need to postponed or cancelled.

The Shire of Mundaring is advising all community members to reconsider attendance at any of your normal events and programs. All Shire of Mundaring events have been cancelled. Most community events and gatherings have also been cancelled. Please check with organisers.


Can our community group still apply for a Shire grant?

The Community Grant Program has been put on hold until further notice.


Will Citizenship Ceremonies still go ahead?

Citizenship Ceremonies will continue to be held until further notice.


How is the Shire supporting residents during this difficult time?

We understand this is a difficult and uncertain time for everybody. We are cognisant of the social impact COVID-19 may be having on our community in terms of restricted movement, social isolation, grief and increased anxiety. 

We are examining strategies for how we can be of service to our local community during these extraordinary times.

Please call the Shire to discuss the community impacts of COVID-19. Information you provide can be considered by the Community Relief and Recovery Committee. You can also provide feedback by completing our Coronavirus (COVID-19) Community Impact Survey here.

The following contacts can also provide support:

  • Lifeline on 13 11 14
  • Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
  • MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
  • Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467
  • Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636
  • Headspace on 1800 650 890
  • ReachOut
  • Care Leavers Australasia Network (CLAN) on 1800 008 774
  • Black Dog Institute online resources for anxiety, stress and wellbeing
  • Australian Red Cross

Assistance available from the Federal Government includes:

I would like to help, where can I volunteer?
The Shire is collating a volunteer database of people who would like to help. Send your contact details to and we will make contact with you to discuss further.

Will there be any changes to my Shire rates?

Shire staff are preparing a budget for 2020-21 based on no rate revenue increase and no increase to Shire fees and charges. The 0% increase applies to Shire rates only and does not include the Emergency Services Levy, which is a State Government charge. 

Council has also committed to not commencing any legal action for debt recovery for six months and to stop levying any new penalty interest charges on outstanding rates for six months.


What are the payment options for paying my rates or other Shire accounts?

Council will be asked to consider a new "Financial Hardship" policy at the Council meeting to be held 14 April. The intent of the policy is to provide flexibility in working with ratepayers according to their individual financial circumstances. More information on payment options will be made available soon.

Are there any changes for community groups who lease a Shire facility?

Council has committed to write off all receivable lease payments from local community organisations for six months. Council will not commence any proceedings to evict tenants from leased properties for six months.

I have a debt to the Shire but am having difficulty paying. What should I do?

Council has made a commitment to not commence any legal action for debt recovery for six months and to stop levying any new penalty interest charges on outstanding rates for six months. However, please contact the Shire to discuss your situation as we may be able to arrange a payment plan that will assist you.

Support for businesses

Shire of Mundaring is currently responding to escalation of the COVID-19 virus and acknowledges the importance of providing support for local business and enterprise in these challenging times. This escalation is already having a significant impact upon local business and the way in which the Shire can deliver normal services.

The Shire is committed to maintaining provision of services to local business and the wider community and is currently exploring other avenues of support and assistance that may provided to reduce the impact of the COVID-19 crisis, where possible.

The following link to the Australian Government, The Treasury website provides information on the current stimulus program for business and includes fact sheets for specific details:

The Australian Government's coronavirus information and support web page is updated regularly with announcements and assistance package information. The Government's business contact centre is staffed from 7am until 11pm: 13 28 46

The Australian Treasury is leading the economic response to the coronavirus

Assistance available from the Federal Government includes:

We are a commercial tenant having difficulty with our lease payments? What is the Shire doing to help?

Council will offer commercial tenants a six month freeze on all lease payments. These will be payable after 1 October 2020.

Council will also consider requests for additional relief from commercial lessees on a case by case basis where demonstrable financial hardship can be verified.

Council has also committed to not commencing any proceedings to evict tenants from leased properties for a period of six months.

Who should I contact if a person who is required to self isolate is not self-isolating?

The community should call Police on 131 444 to report people who should be self-isolating and are not.


If I live in the Shire of Mundaring, how do the regional/intrastate travel restrictions affect me?

From midnight Tuesday night (March 31, 12am Wednesday morning), restrictions were placed on travel within the entire State of Western Australia. Western Australian intrastate travel is defined as movement through the boundaries of the regions of Western Australia. These regions are:

  • Perth and Peel (due to their close proximity, the Perth and Peel regions will combine into one region)
  • South West
  • Great Southern
  • Goldfields-Esperance
  • Mid-West
  • Wheatbelt
  • Gascoyne
  • Pilbara
  • Kimberley.

Western Australians will not be permitted to leave their regional boundary. Police have the power to enforce these restrictions and fines of up to $50,000 can be issued. 

Exemptions will apply for:

  • employment purposes
  • medical reasons
  • health and emergency services
  • people living in ‘border communities’, who may not have access to groceries or supplies within their region
  • freight
  • compassionate grounds.

The whole of the Shire of Mundaring is in the Perth metropolitan area, including our outer eastern localities. 

WA Police have established a vehicle control point (VCP) at the Lakes Roadhouse (intersection Great Eastern Highway and Great Southern Hwy). The VCP captures two intersecting highways, provides a safe working environment for staff and has room for trucks and vehicles to turn around. People living east of the Lakes Roadhouse, but still within Shire of Mundaring boundaries are permitted to travel through the VCP. For more information, including the list of exemptions, see the full document below.


Where else can I go for information about COVID-19?

To find out the latest information and advice on COVID-19 (coronavirus), visit the following websites and facebook pages:

WA COVID-19 Hotline 132 684

The State Government has now opened up the WA COVID-19 hotline where people can get welfare, health, border lockdown and general information. 


How do I access the Coronovirus app from the Federal Government?

The Australian Government has released an official app with the information you need to know about Coronavirus.

Coronavirus Australia, which is available from the Apple App Store and on Google Play, was launched alongside the Government's new WhatsApp feature.


Accessible resources for people with disability:

NDIS Support from Mission Australia

During this period associated with the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are aware that participants have questions about their NDIS plans or services they may need during this time. Mission Australia is still available to answer questions relating to plans or the implementation of plans.

The Mission Australia Community Engagement Team are available to provide information and to help link you to mainstream and community supports. There are also some groups being set up for people to call in and connect with other people in the community. The Community Engagement Team are also able to link people to Local Area Coordinators (LACs) for further assistance.

For people living in the Shire of Mundaring, please contact:

Rebecca Biltoft
P: 0491 147 692

Glyn Davies
P: 0491 147 712

State and Federal Government support

This flyer is a great resource which details government support services and relief meaures for individuals, small businesses and not-for-profits as part of the state recovery response to COVID-19.

The Place for Sustainable Living. Sitemap  |   Copyright Shire of Mundaring 2018