SHIRE of Mundaring councillors have reached a decision regarding the location of approved dog exercise areas and also where they are prohibited.
While some areas in the shire are still under review, pending further public consultation, the majority of locations were approved at an ordinary council meeting on 12 September 2017.
Shire President David Lavell said the original proposal to identify suitable dog exercise areas was put to council earlier this year to provide the community with further clarification around where they could and couldn't exercise their dogs.
A dog exercise area is a location where a dog can be exercised off leash by someone who is capable of controlling the dog. "It also means that the person accompanying the dog must carry a leash in case it needs to be restrained," Cr Lavell said.
General requirements of the Dog Act 1976 - which state dogs must be on a leash - apply to public places that are not specified as either a Dog Exercise Area or a Prohibited Area.
Approved Dog Exercise Areas in Shire of Mundaring are as follows:
- Bellevue: Elder Park
- Boya: Boya Oval
- Chidlow: Chidlow Oval, Forge Reserve
- Darlington: Darlington Oval, Leschen Park, Gladys Park
- Glen Forrest: Glen Forrest Oval, Springside Park
- Greenmount: Fraser Park, Peace Park, Bunninyong Park, Stuart Park
- Helena Valley: Glenway Park, Glenwood Park, Glynden Park
- Midvale: Moir Park
- Mount Helena: Elsie Austin Oval, Pioneer Park, Woodfield Park
- Mundaring: Noble wood Park, Bugle Gully Park, Harry Riseborough Oval
- Parkerville: Parkerville Oval, John Taylor Park, Parkhill Reserve
- Sawyers Valley: Sawyers Valley Oval, Millstream Park, Jarrah Creek Reserve
- Stoneville: Norris Park, Gilfellon Park, Hanley Park, Parklands Reserve, William Adams Park
- Swan View: Brown Park, Collier Park, Ellesmere Park, Eaglemont Park, Balfour Basin, Weston Park, Bedale Park
Prohibited Dog Exercise Areas in Shire of Mundaring are as follows:
- Mundaring and Wooroloo Cemeteries
- Lake Leschenaultia
- Shire owned/managed public buildings, unless otherwise approved by the Shire Of Mundaring
- Sculpture Park Children's Playground
- Within five metres of any other play or exercise equipment areas
- The playing surface of sporting ovals during times of such use or maintenance or mowing operations.
Location of Dog Exercise Areas under review:
Shire of Mundaring councillors agreed to advertise for public comment a proposal for the additional areas to be listed as Dog Exercise Areas (off-leash but under effective control). This is the result of previous feedback provided to the shire.
- Lot 100 Hardey Road, Glen Forrest (owned by Shire of Mundaring)
Excludes the area occupied by Glen Forrest Community Garden
- Lots 377 & 378, Chartwell Way, Swan View (owned by Shire of Mundaring, Crown)
- Mundaring Arena Oval (formerly known as Mundaring Recreation Oval) Mundaring Weir Road, Mundaring
- The Railway Reserve Heritage Trail (sections under Shire of Mundaring management and control). Limited hours proposed for the RRHT:
- Dogs to be on-leash between 10am-4pm
- Dogs allowed to be off-leash between 4pm-10am
The public comment period commenced Friday 22 September and will close on Monday 23 October. Click on 'Public Notices' on the Shire website homepage for more information.