This month's guest councillor column (previously featured in the Community Update page in The Echo) was written by East Ward Councillor, Kate Driver.
September in Focus: Cr Kate Driver
We are living longer, healthier lives, with 70 being the new 50.
With an ageing population the Shire of Mundaring is keen to explore how our community can be more liveable and friendly for older community members. We need to hear from you, about your experiences and expectations, as we develop an Age Friendly Communities Informing Strategy.
The Strategy will provide guidance and actions to support the creation of an age friendly community and links directly to the Shires' Strategic Community plan showing the community vision, strategic directions, and priorities over the next ten years.
To ensure this strategy is relevant and meets the needs of our ageing population we need your input on key priorities, future services, aspirations and community activities that will support and enhance the health and wellbeing of our elders living, working and visiting the Shire.
To achieve this objective the Shire will be holding a number of workshops in September. Those eligible are encouraged to participate.
Seniors are valued members of our community and should have every opportunity to live active, safe and productive lives with access to services as required. The best way to ensure this happens in our community is to have your say by attending one of the sessions listed below.
Drop in session (no registration needed)
- Individuals 55 years and over and carers – Tuesday 17 September, 10am to 12pm. Shire of Mundaring Civic Reception Room, 7000 Great Eastern Highway.
- Individuals 55 years and over and carers - Friday 27 September, 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Boya Community Centre, crn Scott Street and Clayton Road, Boya.
Focus groups (registration required)
- Service Providers: Friday 27 September, 10.00am to 12.00pm. Boya Community Centre, crn Scott Street and Clayton Road, Boya.
- Individuals aged 75 years and over: Tuesday 17 September, 1.30pm to 3.30pm. Shire of Mundaring Committee Room, 7000 Great Eastern Highway.
Light refreshments will be available at all sessions with transport available upon request. To register for one of the focus groups or to arrange transport please call Karen,
- The September 2019 Ordinary Council Meeting is being held on Tuesday 10 September. For full details and to download the agenda click here.