Feedback sought on Mundaring Activity Centre
Shire of Mundaring is committed to revitalising our town centre and is seeking your views on the draft Mundaring Activity Centre Plan (MACP).
Following extensive advertising, Council adopted the Mundaring Master Plan in March 2017 which established a common understanding of long-term community aspirations for the town centre.
Consultation was a central part of the Master Plan and highlighted the importance of keeping a village atmosphere with trees and open spaces, addressing Great Eastern Highway and encouraging walking, cycling and public transport use.
The MACP is the next stage of implementing the Master Plan and aims to accommodate the future needs of a growing population (1400 residents) in a manner consistent with community expectations and aspirations.
Key elements of the draft plan include:
- Identifying possible Great Eastern Highway crossing points;
- Linking the northern and southern halves of the town centre via a main street (Nichol Street);
- Requirement for diversity in housing options, more sustainable buildings which reflect the hills landscape and enhance public spaces;
- Avoiding sprawling dwellings and encouraging development upwards to make the most of land available in the sewer catchment and to ensure space for landscaping and tree planting/retention;
- A flexible approach to land uses to meet the changing residential, commercial, retail and civic demands;
- Additional street trees, public art and sheltered areas to enhance a village atmosphere; and
- Providing space for improved local traffic circulation and car parking.
Gathering community insight on the proposed planning rules is critical as the final document will shape the town centre for the foreseeable future.
The plan can be viewed here.
An online submission form is available here. For further information please contact Planning Services on 9290 6740. Please ensure that all submissions are made prior to 4pm on Monday 6 August 2018.