SEEDLINGS FOR LANDCARE PROGRAM 2020
The Seedlings for Landcare Program 2020 is now open. Expression of Interest forms can be completed online or downloaded from this page. Hard copies of the form can also be collected from the Shire administration building or libraries.
Please read the information below before completing your Expression of Interest Form. Applications close 4pm Fri 27 March. Late submissions cannot be accepted.
Who can apply
approximately 20,000 free native seedlings for schools, volunteer environmental groups and rural properties (ie. rural residential and rural small holdings are eligible). If you are not sure if your property is zoned rural, click here and select the Town Planning module to search your address, or phone 9290 6651 and ask to check your zoning.
The program provides
Please note: residential zoned properties are not eligible to receive seedlings.
The program will focus on improving waterways, providing habitat for wildlife and creating additional tree canopy cover in rural areas (where trees can be planted without conflicting with bushfire safety requirements).
Examples of landcare activities that may be supported include:
- Revegetation of wetlands and watercourses (e.g. rivers, streams and creeks) to improve wildlife habitat, water quality and reduce erosion;
- Revegetation of degraded land to create wildlife corridors linking patches of remnant bushland;
- Revegetation of bushland to improve wildlife habitat and reduce weed invasion and erosion.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for seedling numbers required to undertake their landcare project. EOIs will be assessed on merit and environmental benefits as a result of the project.
'Landcare' is community environmental restoration undertaken by individual landowners or volunteers working on reserves. Sometimes the State or Federal government will make funding available for Landcare initiatives, but this Seedlings for Landcare program is funded by the Shire.
How to apply
The EOI form may be completed ONLINE or downloaded Expression of Interest Form Seedlings for Landcare 2020.pdf. Printed (hard copy) forms can also be collected from the front counter at the Shire Administration Office or libraries. The forms will be available 14 February 2020.
Successful EOI applicants will be notified from May onwards via a confirmation letter in the mail (so please ensure you include your postal address on the form).
Seedlings will be available for collection Sat 6 & Sun 7 June 2020.
You are advised to send in your EOI early to avoid disappointment as once all seedlings from each species are allocated, it will not be possible to supply more of that species.
- Priority will be given to applications that improve the health of rural creeklines.
- Seedlings will be allocated in batches of six plants per species - you can request as many seedlings as you require in multiples of six (e.g. 6,12,18,24 etc).
- The EOI is a request for seedlings and is not the same as an order that would be placed with a commercial supplier (i.e. we will do our best to provide what you want but supply cannot be guaranteed).
- Only one submission per household is permitted.
Volunteers are needed to hand out seedlings from a central distribution point within the Shire in June 2020. If you can help, please contact the Coordinator 9290 6641 or email email@example.com.
Information on plant selection and planting techniques
Information on Phytophthora Dieback
For more information on native plant species and guidelines for preparing and implementing a revegetation plan, refer to our Landscape and Revegetation Guidelines on the Shire's website.
Copies are available for free from the Shire, or can be viewed and downloaded here.
Further information on species not listed in the
guidelines above can be found on the
More information on revegetation and tree planting techniques can be found here Revegetation Techniques Guidelines.docx.pdf
The Seedlings for Landcare Program offers a range of seedlings that may be resistant to dieback. For more information on preventing and managing dieback, click here.