Containers for Change is coming to the Shire on 1 October 2020
To help encourage more Western Australians to collect and return their beverage containers, Containers for Change will provide a 10-cent refund for each eligible beverage container that is returned.
The scheme aims to:
- Increase recovery and recycling
- Reduce litter and landfill
- Provide opportunities for social enterprise and benefits for community organisations
- Create opportunities for employment
- Complement existing collection and recycling activities for recyclable waste.
Container for Change also provides an exciting fundraising opportunity for schools, local sports clubs, community groups, charities and worthwhile causes; the scheme will also create hundreds of jobs across Western Australia.
The Shire's approved refund point is a drive through facility designed to handle returns of all sizes to allow customers to claim their refunds effortlessly by electronic funds transfer to the nominated bank account.
Container Refund Point Location
- Coppin Road Community Recycling Centre, Mundaring
Opening hours of the Refund Point
- Monday and Tuesday 8:30am – 3.30pm
- Closed Wednesdays
- Thursday and Friday 12.30pm – 4.30pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8.30am – 3.30pm
- Closed Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday
Which containers are eligible for a refund?
Most aluminium, glass, plastic, steel and liquid paperboard beverage containers between 150ml and 3L are eligible for a refund. To be eligible the product must be included in the Western Australian scheme.
A list of eligible containers and further information can be found on the below link.
Containers for Change (WA)
How it works
- Step 1 – Sign up for your own scheme ID to receive your refund via a direct
deposit into your bank account by visiting Containers for Change (WA)
- Step 2 – Start collecting your eligible containers
- Step 3 – Drop off your eligible containers to the refund point
- Step 4 – The containers are counted and entered in the Scheme program and then
the Scheme operator transfers money electronically to your scheme ID
nominated bank account
If you are a business, school or community group the Shire offers assistance with provision of bins and a collection service. Please email email@example.com or telephone 9290 6691 for further details.
Containers for Change FAQs
Visit the Containers for Change FAQs page