#WeirTogether and collaborating with local business and industry to facilitate support during COVID-19 and beyond
Shire of Mundaring is committed to assisting local business and industry in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Shire's Local Relief and Recovery Coordinating Committee (LRRCC), together with its various subcommittees, is leading local recovery efforts to rebuild the social and financial strength of our community both during the pandemic and into the future.
How we are helping local business and industry
COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy
In recognition of the COVID-19 pandemic and the widespread economic impact felt by the community, local business and industry, Council adopted the COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy. The policy defines, and explains the Shire's position on:
- Payment difficulties, hardship and vulnerability;
- Anticipated financial hardship due to the pandemic;
- A criteria for financial hardship;
- Payment arrangements;
- Suspension or deferment of interest charges;
- Deferment of rates for ratepayers holding a Pensioner Card; State Concession Card or Seniors Card; and
- Suspension of debt recovery.
Recover Together – COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund
The Recover Together Fund offers the biggest grants program ever delivered by Shire of Mundaring. The fund aims to build community resilience and connectedness through support for business and community-led initiatives, which address the impacts of COVID-19.
There are four tiered grants available: Restart; Reconnect; Rebuild; and Resilience.
Discover more about these grants and whether your local group or business is eligible here.
Other actions and initiatives
Effective from 1 April 2020 Council agreed to:
- Offer its commercial tenants a six month freeze on all lease payments, with lease payments payable after 1 October 2020;
- Consider requests for additional relief from commercial lessees on a case-by-case basis where demonstrable financial hardship can be verified
- Commit to not commencing any proceedings to evict tenants from leased properties for six months;
- Commit to not commencing any legal action for debt recovery for six months;
- Stop levying any new penalty interest charges on outstanding rates for six months.
The Shire also organised a series of informative online workshops on 14, 21 and 28 May (presented by the Small Business Development Corporation) to address the most pressing issues business and industry owners' face in our area.
The Federal Government has a dedicated webpage which has financial assistance information, eligibility and timing for new the new government support for Australian business. More information on this link: Coronavirus information and support for businesses
The State Government has announced a $607 million stimulus package to support WA households and small businesses in the wake of COVID-19.
This includes $114 million in measures to support Western Australian small and medium businesses. In addition, small and medium sized businesses affected by COVID-19 can now apply to defer payment of their 2019-20 payroll tax until July 21, 2020. Find out more at: COVID-19: Business and industry advice and information
Local business support
Mundaring Chamber of Commerce and Industry https://mundaring.org.au/contact-mcoc/
Grant Writing Worshops
Mundaring Chamber Of Commerce is running a series a free COVID-19 Relief and Recovery grant workshops for local businesses on:
Wednesday 30 September – Face to Face
Wednesday 7 October – Zoom
Wednesday 14 October – Face to Face
Wednesday 21 October – Zoom
To register or to find out more visit https://bit.ly/32Xy5sg
Other business support
The Chamber of Commerce and Industry Western Australia has put together a COVID-19 response micro-site which contains information around disaster recovery and business continuity. It can be accessed at COVID-19 response micro-site
The Small Business Development Corporation also has a COVID-19 Online Hub
The Australian Taxation Office
Find ATO related information for businesses dealing with the impact of COVID-19 at Australian Tax Office COVID-19 information