Community relief and recovery initiatives and capital works projects are a key focus of Shire of Mundaring's budget for 2020/21.
Rates yields, Shire fees and charges will stay at 2019 levels after the Annual Budget, Long Term Financial Plan and Corporate Business Plan were endorsed by Council last night.
Shire President, Cr John Daw, said while the budget was informed and affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Shire of Mundaring would continue to deliver essential services and infrastructure projects.
"This is a well-considered and sustainable budget which delivers the community, infrastructure, sustainability and environmental priorities identified in our Corporate Business Plan while preserving long-term plans," he said.
"It was developed to support community members and accommodate a predicted $1.5 million in foregone revenue for 2020/21, without affecting our ability to meet community needs."
Cr Daw said this would be achieved by prudent saving measures, including cuts to staff training budgets and no increases to staff pays or Councillor allowances, and drawing on surplus funds from the 2019/20 budget, Federal Capital Expenditure Grants and a dividend from the East Metropolitan Regional Council.
The 2020/21 budget includes provisions for:
- no increase in the Shire's total rates revenue;
- a 25% waiver of fees and charges for the hire of Shire facilities by small business, community groups, sporting clubs and not-for-profit groups;
- $700,000 for community and economic relief and recovery efforts;
- Capital works projects including an extension to the Mt Helena skate park, upgrades to Morgan John Morgan Reserve and construction of the Chidlow Village Green skate park;
- An authorised refund point will be built at Coppin Road Transfer Station to support the State-wide Container Deposit Scheme;
- Modifications to the former Stoneville Playgroup building will accommodate the Mundaring Firefighter's School;
- A number of economic stimulus projects are also scheduled for 2020/21 with support from the Federal government's Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program.