Unauthorised building work

Any building or structure that has been constructed, structurally altered or extended without a Building Permit being obtained from the Shire is classed as an unauthorised structure.

Unauthorised building works on my property

If you have purchased a property with illegal buildings or have constructed buildings without approval the Shire’s Building Services are to be notified in writing. A building surveyor will be required to carry out an inspection of the property to determine the extent of the unauthorised building work and if possible, advise on action to be taken.

In most cases, the Shire is able to grant retrospective approval for unauthorised building work and/or structures. However, if the unauthorised building / structure does not meet the performance requirements of the National Construction Code or relevant Australian Standards, you may be required to remove the structure.

Please note that in some instances, the unauthorised structure/s may also require retrospective Planning Approval. This must be obtained from the Shire’s Planning Services prior to the submission of an application for a Building Approval Certificate.

Certificate of Building Compliance BA18

BA18 – Certificate of Building Compliance certifies compliance of the unauthorised works with the National Construction Code (NCC) and is required prior to issue of the building approval. BA18 certificate can only be issued by a qualified Building Surveyor.

Building Approval Certificate BA14

Upon application the Shire may issue a BA14 - Building Approval Certificate for the unauthorised works. Approval of works is subject to inspection, issue of certification from a registered structural engineer, compliance with the Shire’s Local Planning Scheme and the National Construction Code.

Issue of a BA14 - Building Approval Certificate allows the unauthorised structure(s) to be retained. The certificate acknowledges the building(s) are deemed structurally adequate and compliant with the relevant building legislation.

Apply for approval for unauthorised building works

  • Step 1: Engage the services of the Shire’s Building Surveyor or private Building Surveyor to determine what inspections and documentation is required for issue of a BA18 - Certificate of Building Compliance.
  • Step 2: Complete and submit the Application for Building Approval Certificate (BA13), BA18 with 2 copies of the referenced documents listed on the BA18 to the Shire.
  • Step 3: Subject to the assessment of the application the Shire will issue the BA14 -Certificate of Building Approval.

Documentation required to submit with the application

Documentation required to support the application for Building Approval is dependent on the extent and class of the unauthorised building works. Required documentation may include the following:

  • Specifications
  • Plans - floor plan, elevations, sections and construction details of the unauthorised work
  • Structural Engineer’s Certification
  • Plumbing Certification (if applicable)
  • Electrical Certification (if applicable)
  • Energy Efficiency Report (if applicable)
  • Planning Approval (if applicable)

Please contact the Shire’s Building Services to determine what documentation is required for your application.

Refer to fees and charges.

More information and contact

For more information or to arrange an inspection, please contact Building Services on 9290 6660 or email shire@mundaring.wa.gov.au.