Noise is unwanted sound that can cause a disturbance.

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 impose permitted noise levels. It is an offence to create excessive noise emissions that occur at a frequency, time of day or duration that unreasonably affects the health and amenity of surrounding residents. 

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1986, enforcement action such as fines, notices and seizures of equipment may be undertaken. WA Police and Environmental Health Officers have the power to issue fines, notices or seize property in response to noise complaints under these laws.

Detailed information on noise requirements for construction, commercial and industrial noise, is provided below.

Noise complaints

Noise from commercial and industrial sites that could affect residential areas, needs to comply with the permitted noise levels.

Complaints can often be resolved by contacting the relevant company. However, if the noise issue continues, you can submit a noise complaint.

The Shire’s Environmental Health Officers can investigate complaints about commercial and industrial areas. 

Make a noise complaint

Permitted construction noise and conditions

Construction noise carried out between 7am and 7pm (Monday to Saturday)

Noisy construction works may be carried out between 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding Sundays and public holidays).

The following conditions apply:

  • Construction workers cannot create noise on building sites until 7am (subject to specific conditions)
  • Construction work must be carried out in accordance with the Control of Noise Practices set out in S6 Australian Standard 2436-1981 Guide to Noise Control on Construction, Maintenance and Demolition Sites
  • Equipment used for construction work must be the quietest reasonably available
  • At any time, the Shire may request that a Noise Management Plan be submitted for construction work.

Out of hours construction noise

For construction work done outside of the permitted hours of 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding Sundays and public holidays), the builder must:

  • Show that it is reasonably necessary for construction work to be done out of hours and submit an Application for Approval of a Noise Management Plan for Out of Hours Construction Noise
  • Submit a Noise Management Plan to the Manager Environmental Health at least seven days before the construction work starts. This plan must be approved before works commence.

The Noise Management Plan must include details of:

  • The need for the construction work to be done out of hours
  • The types of activity that may be noisy
  • Noise level predictions
  • Proposed noise and vibration control measures
  • Proposed methods of noise and vibration monitoring
  • Complaint response procedures.

More information and contact

Please contact Health Services about residential noise on 9290 6742 or at