Shire of Mundaring provides two different bins:

  • *140l general waste (green or red lid)
  • 240l recycling (yellow lid).

*Important Note: General waste bin lids are changing from green to red in accordance with the WA Government Waste Strategy 2030.

Find out what goes in which bin below.

What can go in the general waste bin (green or red lid)

Important note: Heavy items, hot ashes, construction or building material, batteries and hazardous waste cannot be put in the general waste bin. Find out about household hazardous waste.

The following items can be put in the general waste bin:

  • Baskets (cane or plastic)
  • Black plastic sheeting
  • Broken glass
  • Bubble wrap
  • Cassette tapes, CDs and CD-ROMs
  • Cellophane
  • Ceramics, broken plates and pots
  • Clothing and shoes
  • Cockroach bait (plastic)
  • Cosmetic jars
  • Foam and polystyrene (including boxes, seedling containers and meat trays)
  • Food and vegetable scraps - consider composting and worm farming
  • Garden hose
  • Plastic wrapping and waxed paper
  • Grease proof paper
  • Greenwaste (eg lawn clippings and tree prunings) 
  • Juice cartons (silver lined) UHT
  • Kitty litter and pet fluff
  • Manure / animal droppings
  • Milk cartons (silver lined) UHT
  • Nappies
  • Paint tins (must be empty and dry)
  • Plastic cutlery
  • Plastic bags (empty)
  • Plastic wrapping
  • Plate glass
  • Pottery
  • Pyrex (ovenware)
  • Remote controls (no batteries)
  • Shredded paper
  • Terracotta tiles/pots
  • Vacuum cleaner (dust and bag).

What can go in the recycling bin (yellow lid)


Important note: Bagged waste, plastic bags or green waste cannot be put in the recycling bin.

The following items can be put in the recycling bin:

  • Aluminium cans
  • Aluminium foil
  • Bottles (remove lids)
  • Cardboard (boxes / other)
  • Cereal boxes
  • Drink cans
  • Envelopes
  • Food cans
  • Gift wrapping paper
  • Glass bottles/jars (remove lids)
  • Glossy magazines/brochures
  • Greeting cards
  • Ice-cream containers
  • Jars (remove lids)
  • Liquid paper board
  • Milk / juice cartons – (no silver-lined UHT)
  • Newspapers / Paper (office)
  • Paper towel rolls (inner)
  • Paper bags
  • Pet food tins (clean)
  • Phone books
  • Pizza boxes (empty)
  • Plastic containers / bottles (remove lids)
  • Plastic plant pots (clean)
  • Sauce bottles (clean)
  • Soft drink bottles / cans (remove lids)
  • Steel cans
  • Toilet paper rolls (inner)
  • Waxed cardboard
  • Wine bottles (remove lids)
  • Yoghurt containers.

Where to take hazardous waste

There are many household waste and recyclable items that cannot be placed in either your general waste or recycling bins.

Household hazardous waste items including aerosol cans and batteries cause fires in collection vehicles and materials recovery facilities, and therefore must not be placed in either of your kerbside bins.

Refer to our dedicated page on household hazardous waste, which also provides advice on types of hazardous waste and how you can dispose of it.

More information and contact

You can download the full waste and recycling guide below.

Waste and Recycling Guide 2023-24

For more information for what goes in your bins, please contact us on 9290 6666 and ask for Waste Services, or email

See also: