Development includes buildings, earthworks and land uses, whether rural, residential or commercial.

Most development will require planning approval from the Shire. However, applications with an estimated development value of $2 million or more, may involve the WA Planning Commission, via the Joint Development Assessment Panel (JDAP). Minor outbuildings and residential additions may be exempt.

Planning applications are assessed against the Shire's Local Planning Scheme No. 4 and may require consultation with the community and relevant State Government agencies.

We encourage you to contact the Shire's Planning Service to check your zoning and whether your proposal would require planning approval. 

Most applications for planning approval can be dealt with at Officer level within 60 days, however, certain applications may need public advertising, agency referrals or the approval of Council, which may lengthen the processing time.

Contact a Planning Officer on 9290 6740 or email

You can also visit us in person at the Shire Administration Building. No appointment is necessary for most enquiries, however it is best to call ahead if you wish to arrange a pre-lodgement meeting with detailed plans.

See also:

If you are planning a new house or renovation, the following information sheet can assist you in building a more comfortable and energy efficient home.

Solar Passive Building Design