Building & Planning

Planning permits and building permits are different and controlled by different laws and regulations. You may need a permit from planning or building, or both.

Building ServicesPlanning Services

Under Western Australian Legislation (Building Act 2011) a building permit is required before commencement of most building work. The permit ensures the building is structurally safe and complies with regulations.

A permit is required for any work involving the development of new structures or alterations including:

  • dwellings and additions
  • carports, patios, sheds, garages
  • front fences, retaining walls
  • decking
  • rainwater tanks
  • swimming pools and spas.

A planning approval is a legal document giving permission for a land use or development.

The development or use could be anything from demolishing or extending your house, running a business from home, to earthworks, keeping livestock or clearing native vegetation.

Planning decisions take into account the impact a new building or land use will have on the community. 

Customer Survey​


The Place for Sustainable Living. Sitemap  |   Copyright Shire of Mundaring 2018