The Shire of Mundaring is largely located within a bushfire prone area. Construction of a new dwelling or additions to an existing residence within a bushfire prone area may require planning approval prior to the lodgement of a building permit application.

Building works valued under $20,000 do not require a registered builder allowing owners to nominate themselves as “builder” on the building application form.

For building works over $20,000 a registered builder must be nominated as the builder. Owners who wish to appoint themselves as the builder for building works over $20,000 are required to attain an owner-builder certificate from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

Owners who have chosen to do the earthworks in lieu of their builder, must obtain a separate building permit prior to any earthworks commencing.

Are you considering a environmentally friendly design? Review our Solar Passive Building Design information sheet below.

Solar Passive Building Design

    Step 1: Apply for a building permit

    You will need to complete an Application for building permit – uncertified (BA2).

    Ensure you include: 

    • Architectural drawings including:
      • Site plan
      • Floor plan
      • Elevations
      • Sections
      • Electrical plans
    • Energy efficiency report
    • Site classification - issued or certified by a geotechnical engineer
    • Engineering - all structural and construction details designed and certified by a registered structural engineer
    • BAL construction specifications and Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment and Certificate (if located in a bushfire prone area)
    • Termite management details
    • General specifications
    • Home Indemnity Insurance (for residential works valued over $20,000)
    • Stormwater drainage plan.

    Refer to Building Permit Fee and Calculator.

    Step 2: Assessment

    Building permit applications either certified or uncertified are usually assessed and approved within 10 business days.

    Building permits are sent to the builder via post.

    Step 3: Submit a Notice of Completion

    Under the Building Act 2011, the builder must notify the Shire that the work is completed by submitting a BA7 Notice of Completion Form.

    More information and contact

    For more information, please contact the Shire’s Building Services on 9290 6660 or email