Road Maintenance, Lighting and Signs

Report it/request it

Please contact us to:

  • Report a road issue or hazard e.g. pothole or edge breaks
  • Report a damaged sign or pavement marking
  • Request grading of a gravel road
  • Request road sweeping.

Road maintenance, reconstruction and resurfacing

The Shire is responsible for maintaining roads under its control and has scheduled road maintenance programs in place, including road sweeping and sealing of gravel roads. Grading of gravel roads is on request only.

Main Roads WA maintains Great Eastern Highway and Toodyay Road within the Shire boundaries.

Road reconstruction and resurfacing programs are developed from road condition surveys and prioritised on a needs basis to reflect current budgets. 

Residents are notified by letter prior to any reconstruction and/or resurfacing works commencing.

For a full list of roads on these programs, please contact us.

Road signs

The Shire is responsible for the installation and maintenance of street, No Through Road, Local Traffic Only and directional signage.

Main Roads WA is responsible for the installation and maintenance of Regulatory, Warning and Guide signs (including signs at traffic signals, highway directional signs and roundabouts). As a general rule all signs with yellow posts are MRWA responsibility.

Community Directional Signage

Content Under Development

Road markings

New line marking can be requested via writing to the Shire who will submit to Main Roads for their consideration and approval. 

Maintenance of all line marking, including double white lines, separation (single white) lines, lane lines, merging lines, painted median islands, stop lines, give way lines and road edge marking can be reported to Main Roads WA.

Street lighting

The Shire is responsible for the cost of new street lights and the running costs of existing street lights.

Lights are provided by Western Power.

If you are aware of any outages, safety, vandalism or maintenance problems for street lighting please contact Western Power.

More information and contact

For more information on roads, please contact Infrastructure Services on 9290 6660 or email